Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How to make those cheap-o Jiffy Corn Bread packages taste like heaven!

I don't know about you all, but those cheap Jiffy Corn Bread packages come in handy for a side, but not really -- because all of us are typically sitting around with the look of swallowing a bitter-pill after having a bite. Because that's what they taste like: age old, bitter pill, corn meal YUCK!

I have yet to enter an American kitchen that doesn't have at least one package of this in their cupboards. So I know I am not the only one that -- often regrettably -- makes them on occasion.

Well my step-daughter Crysta and I (Crysta is my home-style-kitchen-road-dog these days. She hangs with me at every meal. She's my sous-chef, my assistant, and by-far: the best cooking pupil to-date. She doesn't argue. She doesn't ask dumb-or-obvious questions. She just does and gets-em-done. And I rarely have to tell her anything twice, or if I do, it's just a refresher, because she KNOWS the basics after one lesson! She's rocking! OK enough blowing up of Crysta's ego, let's get to the point) figured out tonight a way to make the cheap mix taste sweet, and like a home-made cornmeal cornbread.



Follow all the directions on the Jiffy box, and while your batter is "resting": thin slice a fresh jalapeno pepper. Half it, rib and de-seed it, the slice into 1/4" strips. For our larger family we used two boxes and a whole jalapeno. For smaller servings use one box and one half a jalapeno.  Mix the thin-sliced jalapeno into the batter and let it rest at least 10 minutes. In the meantime, cooking-spray a large muffin pan.

After your batter is all fluffy-big, and you have deposited it 3/4 full into each cupcake/muffin cup --

ADD ONE TEASPOON OF FRESH, REAL, 100% HONEY (we LOVE Orange Blossom honey around here) TO EACH CUP ON TOP OF THE BATTER.

Bake per usual, and ZOMG, enjoy! REALLY TASTY CORNBREAD MUFFINS!

Punk Rock Farm APPROVED!

Also, another household tip, as previously stated on facebook: GAIN LAUNDRY POWDER removes ages old soap scum from bathtubs. I honestly cannot believe how much it's removed and it was just an accidental discovery from having to hand-wash laundry in our old, old bathtub! I didn't even attack the scum properly yet -- it just vanished slowly, but surely -- after a few loads of laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment