Wednesday, March 5, 2014

It all started with a pair of slippers . . . and now I am a full time hooker!

Email: kedroc8@gmail.com
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kcrcrane
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KCsHijinx?ref=si_shop
Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/people/Varlavortex
Paypal: kedroc8@gmail.com


Last fall, as the wind hiked up and the temps drew down, I decided I needed a pair of slippers. Since I know a lot of hookers and knitters, a lot of cute little projects come across my facebook feed. I had finished our quilt, and on a painting hiatus via painter's block, I decided to buy some cheap-o yarn and get to hooking me up some slippers (See what I did there? Double entendre FTW!).
















They were a hit! Not only were they warm and comfortable, my friends & family really took an interest into what I was making. I was seriously out-of-practice with crochet. I hadn't hooked anything in years. Much less followed a crochet-pattern. But sheer determination forged me ahead. I pulled out an old pattern a friend had sent, and retaught myself how to follow a pattern, specifically: a difficult pattern, correctly. I made a gorgeous skull shawl.


You can own this shawl, it shall be on Etsy this week!



My own design for a skull applique'!
If you would like the pattern, I'll be happy to share!
The demand for slippers grew, and then frustration with my own appliques held me back. The appliques and crochet patterns are fine, it's the embellishment that looked like crap and made me pull out my hair. Yes, I could use embroidery thread. But the worst had happened and I actually got frustrated with a project -- and skull slippers went into a desk drawer until I could figure it all out the way I wanted it. I'm so sorry Cassie, one day, when you're least expecting it -- you'll get some damn fine slippers!











In the meantime, Pedro needed beanies for work. My sister Jenny found an amazing basketweave project she JUST HAD TO HAVE. My friend "Chickyn Jane" crocheted a Cthulhu doll and I knew my son would love one, so I made one for him for Christmas. The holidays were fast-approaching. Between a lack of funds and a growing stash of yarn, I knew I could create a bunch of presents instead of buy.

My very first beanie. Yeah, not so great.
Shane realllly wanted one of those beard beanies! And this is how I look when I crochet until 1AM, and the kids wake me up at 3:30AM in anticipation of Santa.
Oh Cthulu! You cutie-pie, you!
Pippi realllllly wanted a panda bear. Pippi got one!


I fell in love with an idea I came across of using classic Granny-Squares and making them into heirloom scarves. Both Eden and Crysta (our teenage girls) got heirloom scarves with vintage buttons that allow them to be worn as cowls as well as scarves for Christmas.



I started buying a lot of cool crochet books. I even had a design idea of making Granny squares in whites, browns, light pinks and mint greens, surrounding them in a dark velvet red, and creating an afghan that looks like a giant box of chocolates! Needless-to-say, that project is on hold for quite a while!

"Box of Chocolates Afghan" squares



















In January my mom came to stay with us for a spell. Being a life-long knitter as she is, I did my time in yarn shops. As a kid I would moan when she'd say as we were driving: "I'm going to stop by the yarn shop!". "Nooooooooo! At least let me get a book!" Hours upon hours I would sit while she touched this, checked that, hunted-down patterns, whipped out calculators and adjusted patterns, all while I rolled my pubescent, overly made-up: eyes. Not that I didn't grow up with a large collection of some serious bomb-ass knitted sweaters and blankets. Because I did. And my mom is a very talented knitter. So when she said "C'mon, lets go get you some proper yarn. You won't believe the difference!" I was more than willing to go, and hopefully spend hours touching yarns and dreaming up patterns and, and, and . . .   I have discovered and fallen in love with yarn shop: yarn.  For hand spun, hand painted, silk and merino and baby alpaca and everything that causes a visceral and pleasurable response to my fingertips. Yarns that make me sigh in delight as I crochet.



And just like the way I like to purchase food, or gifts or anything I can feasibly purchase from local businesses, work-from-home-moms or anything American-made: buying local helps local families. I feel good when I help local business. And I get what I pay for in return. Just like the local butcher's meat tastes fantastic compared to large meat-processing-plants -- small-batch produced yarn, hand spun, hand painted, and blends of silk and different wools? The difference is incredible! 



Paradise Fibers, Spokane, WA

The same hat can be purchased by clicking here!



My first yarn-shop yarn became a beanie for my daughter Penelope. Having a bit extra, I made another (and a lucky somebody can purchase it at Etsy!). I began making all sorts of lovely items from a variety of wools and fibers. 


This same hat can be purchased here!
My best friend laid-claim to this one!



















It was when I posted pictures of my beanie-making-adventures that my dear friend Kristen Marie, a lover of MLP FIM, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, source of all this Bronie love, ordered three custom Pony-inspired beanies. One for herself and one her daughter in Pinkie-Pie's colors, and one in the colors of Derpy (which I am sure is not the Pony's name, but that's how she calls her/him, and so now I call it that, too!). She asked that I add "cupcake" buttons, and possibly a "muffin" button for Derpy. After a quick search, I discovered that the buttons I want could only be made. So I called on my friend Serena (of Jewelry by Serena, featured on my Etsy page) and asked her to create these special buttons. It's been a beautiful partnership, as Serena produces exactly what I envision, and what I request. She refers to the colors of my yarns and produces the perfect complimentary buttons, in the perfect sizes! If you would like to order custom buttons for your own knit, crochet or sewing projects? Email me at kedroc8@gmail.com, and Serena will gladly fulfill your request!  
Custom, handmade buttons made by Jewelry by Serena

















My friend Kathy liked the MLP beanie so much, she ordered one for her daughter, too!


I joined Ravelry. I've started entering my "stash" into their database. I've been "favoriting" like a little coveter of every cool pattern I see! Ravelry is indeed an amazing source for all things wool!

Also, seeing all this beanie love, a friend of mine in New Jersey is building her own photography business from the ground up, and requested cute little newborn props. I've found cool patterns, I've written my own patterns, I have come up with some pretty clever little ideas for the prop-department, and I am all set to blog that next. As my "Newborn Prop Set for Photographers" is about to hit the mail this afternoon! I am so happy to have had this opportunity and send out a HUGE THANK YOU to Heather Cromack Photography, New Jersey!








When my dearest friend Lauren saw the little blue newboys cap above, she had to have one in adult size. So we poured through numerous patterns until we found the winner, and voila: a gorgeous newsboy in classic red! 



Lauren in her Brooklyn Newsboy Cap



My friend Scott ordered those adorable boobie-beanies for a lactivist friend of his who is due with another baby! If it has to do with breastfeeding pride and activism? You can count me in! As a result, another friend has also ordered a set of boobie beanies -- and informed me they are not easily available on the internet to order.  I WILL MAKE THEM, AND DUE TO MY STRONG BELIEF IN THE RIGHT TO BREASTFEED ANYWHERE AND ANYTIME YOUR BABY IS HUNGRY? I OFFER A GREAT PRICE! A set of three (Newborn-9mos) is only $20. If you would like just one, it's $7, two for $13.50, and three for $20! They are made from super-soft baby-spun acrylic and are machine washable. Email me at kedroc8@gmail.com to order your boobie beanie! 




Still the hooks and yarn call, and the project-list and orders grow longer . . . and here I am, neck-deep in yarn and ideas and inspiration, and well - it all came about today, Ash Wednesday -- that I am FINALLY gathering together all my photos, and my stories of the previous few months. I've been a busy little hooker with little time to blog! I'm kicking my own butt for not documenting as I go (except here and there on my facebook page -- feel free to add me! I might post an idea you are interested in!) -- but let's face it, between fulfilling orders and running a farm and raising five kids, my down-time is for sleeping, and fingers are for hooking. And I'm glad, because my skills have improved, like, 1,000-fold. I LIKE difficult patterns. I LOVE a challenge. And I really love creating things that make other people happy. Like those very popular crocodile boot slippers? Yep, I am making three for one of the coolest ladies in the world: Trip Day, and her two best friends!
Crocodile Stitch slipper-boots.

If you see anything you like, PLEASE feel free to email me at kedroc8@gmail.com, or leave me your email address in the comments, and I will be glad to make you whatever your heart desires at a great price!

If you make home-made items, from spinning clay to making soap? I am open to barter! Again, email me an offer you crafty people! I have a huge love for homemade soaps!

Here's a list of ways to reach me, or order custom crochet or custom buttons. I hope to have more on Etsy within a month or two, but my orders have me very busy and I will only create for-sale items when I have free time outside of orders!

Email: kedroc8@gmail.com
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kcrcrane
Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KCsHijinx?ref=si_shop
Ravelry: https://www.ravelry.com/people/Varlavortex
Paypal: kedroc8@gmail.com

And FINALLY! Last weekend I made my own beanie. Because it's cold, and because I'm the only person who hasn't received a hand made crocheted item from myself -- since those slippers that started it all -- I made myself a gorgeous little beanie out of the sweetest, softest, baby alpaca yarn I've ever felt!
I want to thank you, as does Pedro, from the bottom of our hearts -- for helping us in helping our farm, raising our children, and to allow me to remain busy and doing the thing that I love: creating art! 
Baby Alpaca SQUEEE! You can buy the same yarn here!

No comments:

Post a Comment